Thursday, November 5, 2015

Even Steven's Summary of Patterns of Evidence

I recently watched Patterns of Evidence, a 2014 documentary about the historicity of the Exodus.  I may write a post about it next week (we'll see).  Here, I want to link to a summary of the documentary's arguments.  It is by Even Steven.  See here.  I have at least two disagreements with the summary.  First, I disagree with what the summary says about the Hyksos:  I do not think that the documentary was equating the Hebrews with the Hyksos, but rather was suggesting that the Exodus made Egypt incredibly weak, and that was what made Egypt so vulnerable when the Hyksos invaded.  Second, the summary says or implies that the documentary dates the Exodus to 1450 B.C.E.  That was one view presented in the documentary. The problem is that 1450 B.C.E. was after the time of the Middle Kingdom, which is when the documentary seems to believe the Exodus took place, and that is one reason that there is an attempt to align the chronologies.

Search This Blog